Timeline

1945Faculty of Arts professor Inocenc Arnošt Bláha initiates the effort to establish the Faculty of Social Studies at MU, proposal for an autonomous University of Social Studies in Brno prepared by the preparatory committee and presented to the Ministry of Education
1946Opening of the Brno branch of the Faculty of Social Studies at the University of Politics and Social Studies in Prague
1947University of Social Studies established in Brno, assuming the duties of the Brno branch of the Faculty of Social Studies at the University of Politics and Social Studies; The first rector becomes Inocenc Arnošt Bláha; the majority of lecturers come from three MU faculties – Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Medicine
1948Establishment of the Research Institute of Social Studies at the University of Social Studies in Brno
1949Decision made to close down the University of Social Studies in Brno, done in stages from the beginning of the academic year 1949/1950
1951Graduation of last students; the college that is closely linked to Masaryk University closes down
1995School of Social Studies established at the MU Faculty of Arts (with professor Ivo Možný as director)
1997Establishment of the Faculty of Social Studies by assuming the following study programmes from the Faculty of Arts: Sociology, Social Work and Politics, Mass Communication and Journalism and Political Science; first dean is professor Ivo Možný
1998Faculty begins activities in the buildings on Gorkého and Jaselská streets
2002Opening of the Central Library of the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Studies (on the premises of the Faculty of Arts)
2004Faculty obtains its own insignia (created by Lefteris Joanidis);
Launch of two master programmes in English
2005Faculty moved into the reconstructed building on Joštova Street 10
Civic association of the FSS students’ Debate Club established