Gorkého 14 - Faculty of Arts
Gorkého 14 – before 1907
Josef Arnold elaborated the design based on the architectonic model made by Heinrich Drasche von Wartimburg – a model showing the originally separate Neo-Renaissance building with a fruit-growing Biedermeier park. Moreover, Arnold was, together with Moritz Kellner, the architect of the building designated for the city orphanage for boys in 1871-1872. The original building was enlarged in 1905 according to the City Construction Administration’s project (Ottokar Burkhart was the head of the office) – a corner axis with a staircase was added. After the establishment of Masaryk University in 1919, the building came under the management of the Faculty of Arts. However, the faculty had to share the building with the headquarters of State Railways. Soon after the end of the war (in the days of the university’s closure, the building, as well as the entire area of the Faculty of Arts, served for the needs of occupation authorities – oberlandrat), the building was seized by the County People’s Committee Brno-venkov. Only since 1946 the Faculty of Arts of MU has been the only user of the building.