Grohova 7 - Faculty of Arts
Grohova 7, 1920s
The first project of the building, which was to constitute the opposite side of the former orphanage (Gorkého 14), originates from 1920. Its author was Josef Matzenauer. The revised version of the project from 1921 already took into account the annexation of the wing into Javorová Street (Arne Novák Street today). However, its realization was completed not until the end of 1950’s under different conditions. The final project was accomplished by the architect Miloš Laml, who reworked the façade into a classicizing style of architectural modernism of Otto Wagner’s “Czech school”, using the “art-deco” decoration in the interiors. The construction of the building took place between the years 1922 and 1924; its function was used by MU Rector’s Office – the Rector’s Office was at that time provisionally located within the area which belonged to the theoretical institutes of the Faculty of Medicine on Úvoz – and by the Faculty of Arts. The assembly hall served as a ceremonial meeting place for academic community of MU in the 1920’s and at the beginning of the 1930’s. Since 1933, the year the Rector’s Office was relocated into the new building of the Faculty of Law on Veveří, it has been in use solely by the Faculty of Arts.