Joštova 10 - Faculty of Social Studies
Joštova 10 – 1960s
Neo-Renaissance four-storey building was built during 1907-1910 for German University of Technology in Brno. The author of the project was Ferdinand Hrach, the architect was Josef Nebehosteny. Even the world-famous inventor of water wheel, Viktor Kaplan, had his own laboratory in the basement of the building. The building was assigned under the administration of Masaryk University, that is, its Faculty of Medicine, in 1945 under the terms of the building interchange between Masaryk University and Brno University of Technology (the former holder of the German University of Technology buildings). However, the specialized working places and laboratories, placed in the basement and first floor of the building, have remained in use by Brno University of Technology for decades. Since 1952 till its abolishment in 1960, the Pharmaceutical Faculty, the first and then the only faculty of its kind in the Czech Republic, had its seat in the building, too. In summer 2005, the extensive reconstruction of the building for the Faculty of Social Studies was completed.