Komenského nám. 2 - Faculty of Medicine
Komenského náměstí 2 – the beginning of the 20th century
Neo-Renaissance building from the period 1859-1860, built after the project of Ignaz Latzel by the architect Josef Arnold for German University of Technology in Brno. The sculptural decoration of the attic was accomplished by Franz Schwarzer; the author of allegorical sculptures in the foyer is Joseph Cesar. By the end of the 19th century, the rear wing of the building was completed, and a trilateral building of the Chemical Institute with its seat on Údolní Street was built – the project was made out by a professor of German University of Technology Ferdinand Hrach. After the abolishment of German University of Technology in Brno, it was immediately exchanged with theoretical institutes area of MU Faculty of Medicine on Úvoz (as, for example, the building Joštova 10). Besides the Faculty of Medicine, the MU Rector’s Office had its seat in the building too, particularly in the period 1951-1960. The extensive and costly reconstruction of the building was enforced by disrupted statics – the building was built as part of a representative boulevard, in a place of destroyed city walls – and it was carried out in the years 1998-2000. An installation of bronze sculpture of T. G. Masaryk was part of the construction process. The author of the sculpture is Vincenc Makovský.