Veveří 70 - Faculty of Law
Faculty of Law – around 1930
The first and only actually realized building of the once-planned Masaryk University grounds in Brno’s Kraví hora neighbourhood. The building of the Law Faculty was to be followed by the buildings of the Rectorate and the Faculty of the Arts according to virtually the same design. The adjacent slopes on Kraví hora were to be occupied by the faculties of Medicine and Science according to designs by Bohuslav Fuchs and Jindřich Kumpošt. Realization of this grand design was prevented by the economic crisis of the early 1930s. The Faculty of Law building was built in 1928-1933; its cornerstone was laid on 9 June 1928, with the President of the Republic T.G. Masaryk in attendance. The building’s designer was Prague architect Alois Dryák. Its beautifully-decorated assembly hall, including stained-glass windows by František Kysela, and epic painting by Antonín Procházky “Prometheus Giving Fire to Man”) dating from 1938. The hall has been the venue for most university ceremonies since 1934. Masaryk University was shut down by the Nazis during the war. At that time, the building housed the Moravia headquarters of the Gestapo, martial law courts. After the Faculty of Law MU was dissolved in 1950, the building was turned over for use by the Antonín Zápotocký Military Academy. It was returned to Masaryk University in 1990, and returned to the Faculty of Law, which had been located on the Zelný trh since its reinstatement in 1969. It is on the list of protected historic buildings.