The Institute of Computer Science (the ICS) is a university institute of Masaryk University responsible for the development of information and communication technologies at the university. The ICS conducts research and development activities in the field of information technologies with a long-term focus on research in digital libraries, healthware, large scale distributed systems and high quality multimedia processing. The ICS also substantially ensures the operation, development, coordination and services concerning the deployment of information and communication technologies at Masaryk University, especially the operation and development of academic computer networks and their connection to a high-level network infrastructure, and the computation and large data storage resources. The ICS is run by a director. The ICS includes a Supercomputer Centre which provides support to demanding computations and ensures the operation and further development of the high-performance computing infrastructure of Masaryk University and its integration in national and international structures.
The main services provided by the ICS to Masaryk University include:
- Economic and Administrative Information Systems;
- Data and Voice Network Services;
- High-performance Computing and Very-large Data Storage;
- Library Management System and Electronic Resources;
- University Computer Laboratories and Study Rooms;
- Computer Security Services;
- Public Masaryk University www-Presentation;
- Software and ICT Technology Component Purchase and Distribution;
- Co-ordination of Computer Service Units at Faculties.
For the Ministry of Education of the Czech Republic the institute develops and operates the SIMS information system (national register of university students).
Research and development: The ICS participates in the EU Network of Excellence CoreGRID and in the joint research plan (with the Faculty of Informatics) oriented towards the issues of parallel and distributed computer systems. The ICS has also developed long-term close collaboration with the CESNET academic association, especially in the fields of optical networks, virtual environment for collaboration, programmable hardware and telemedicine. The institute also participates in the development and administration of the Czech academic grid environment (MetaCentrum) and the development of the national research network. In the field of digital libraries we investigate application of knowledge and information robot technologies for information searching and integration as well as for the creation of an adaptive multi-agent system to deliver an efficient, effective and self-managing Network Intrusion Detection System. The institute has developed long-term joint activities with the Czech National Library in Prague concerning the development of the infrastructure for collecting and archiving the Czech web (WebArchive). The ICS also extensively collaborates with hospitals throughout the Czech Republic on the development of the MeDiMed system – a metropolitan archive of digital medical visual information.
Institute of Computer Science in Numbers
- The ICS published a total of 95 specialized publications in 2007.
- The ICS’s employees participated in 11 projects in 2007.
- The institute has 163 employees, of which 2 are associate professors and 13 have a PhD degree. The institute collaborates with 79 external employees.