About University Computer Centre
Why University Computer Centre?
In summer 2000 there had been over 2.5 thousand computers out of which more than 2000 were connected to the University Computer Network (and to the Internet). Relatively a small number of these computers were available to students.
According to the estimates, in average each student has had only 11 minutes per day to do all his/her work on computer connected to the Internet which was found insufficient. The computers were needed not only for training of personal skills but also for the access to IS (University Information System) or for arranging of some other administrative operations dealing with the new school system.
Out of all the reasons mentioned above, management of Masaryk University decided to solve the situation by establishing University Computer Centre (UCC). Institute of Computer Science has been delegated to take responsibility of establishing and operating the UCC. It was expected that this solution would quickly and effectively increase the possibilities of students´ access to computer equipment and network information resources.
Aims of the UCC
- Simple accessibility for as many MU students as possible: The chosen locality in the center of Brno has almost ideal transport connections (also during the night).
- Sufficient number of client workstations: more than 100 computers are available in the UCC.
- A systematic check of access/use rights: The access is controlled by identification students´ chip cards.
- Effectiveness of system administration: Client workstations dray all state data from server.
- Efficient network infrastructure: The solution is based on the technology of switched 100 Mb/s Ethernet combined with Gb Ethernet on crucial switches to server. The UCC is equipped with an efficient 100 Mb/s optic link to the backbone metropolitan network
- Efficient servers: data storage/file server provides data for client workstations, network server is the interface to external network, and the authentication server analyzes the rights to enter UCC, and to use its services
- Staff: Thanks to UCC attendants the UCC operates 7 days per week, 24 hours per day.
Articles on the Topic "University Computer Centre"
- M. Valentová. Osm let Celouniverzitní počítačové studovny. Zpravodaj ÚVT MU, č.2, roč.XIX, prosinec 2008.
- R. Chytilek, O. Krpec. Informační technologie MU a Celouniverzitní počítačová studovna (CPS) očima studentů. Výzkumná zpráva, FSS MU, červen 2002. 80s.
- M. Sänger, L. Rychnovský, L. Maňásek.Portál Celouniverzitní počítačové studovny. Zpravodaj ÚVT MU, č.1, roč.XIX, říjen 2001.
- J. Šmarda ml. Počítačová studovna MU jednoletá. Zpravodaj ÚVT MU, č.1, roč.XIX, říjen 2001.
- M. Vičar. Statistiky vytížení celouniverzitní počítačové studovny MU. Zpravodaj ÚVT MU, č.4, roč.XI, duben 2001.
- V. Račanský. Počítačová studovna - průzkum bojem. Říjen 2000.
- P. Pištěk, R. Peša. Počítačová studovna MU zahájila. Zpravodaj ÚVT MU, č.1, roč.XI, říjen 2000.
- V. Račanský, P. Pištěk. Celouniverzitní počítačová studovna na MU. Zpravodaj ÚVT MU, č.4, roč.X, duben 2000.