The Faculty of Law was established in 1919, i.e. in the year of Masaryk University’s founding. Between WWI and WWII the faculty was home to a number of leading figures in Czech legal science with a reputation that extended even beyond the borders of Czechoslovakia. The faculty rose to fame as the centre of the school of pure juristic theory, a school synonymous with the name of František Weyr, one of the faculty’s most notable thinkers. Karel Engliš, the first Rector of Masaryk University and subsequently dean of the Faculty of Law, was a second prominent figure. Faculty development was stifled twice during its history: by the Nazis in 1939 and then again in 1950 by the Communist regime. It was reopened in 1969.
Today the city of Brno forms a most suitable environment for the study of law, especially after it resumed its status as the nation’s legal centre after the Velvet Revolution in 1989. It is home to the country’s highest judiciary bodies: the Supreme Court, Supreme Administrative Court, Constitutional Court, Supreme Public Prosecutor’s Office and the Public Defender of Rights. Close cooperation with these institutions forms an inherent part of the faculty’s activities, greatly boosting the overall quality of studies.
In the area of research, much emphasis is being placed on the interconnection of national and European contexts; grant projects investigated at the faculty thus frequently focus on issues such as legal trade relations within the EU, tendering policies in the Czech Republic and the EU and international legal and ethical medical research standards.
Both teachers and doctoral students actively participate in international conferences and seminars as well as placements at significant institutions in Europe and the USA, while advisory services experts engage in activities organized by the Council of Europe and a number of international universities, e.g. the John Marshall Law School in Chicago. Faculty representatives also appear on various appeal commissions with Czech ministries, provide advisory services to the Government Council for Human Rights and frequent national and international non-governmental organizations.
In addition to the Law and Legal Science Master’s degree programme, the faculty also implements the following fields of study under the Legal Specializations Bachelor’s combined degree programme: Theory and Practice of Criminal Procedure, Public Administration, Legal Questions of Land Register, Law and Business and International Commercial and Banking Law. Master’s studies graduates may subsequently enrol in the Theoretical Legal Sciences doctoral degree programme. As the first institution in the Czech Republic, the Faculty of Law has successfully implemented the Master of Public Administration (MPA) doctoral degree programme for public administration employees and officials and the Master of Laws (LL.M.) programme specializing in commercial law in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University in Great Britain. The faculty likewise offers a range of lifelong learning programmes.
Graduates find application in a broad range of legal professions from the judiciary to the Public Prosecutor’s Office and from public administration to private practice.
The Faculty of Law is the most popular institution of its kind in the Czech Republic; only the very best are accepted.
Facts and figures
- A total of 3,524 students are enrolled at the faculty: 737 in Bachelor’s degree programmes, 2,606 in Master’s degree programmes and 181 in doctoral degree programmes (as of 31 October 2015).
- The faculty consists of 11 departments and employs a total of 191 academic and non-academic workers including 13 professors and 28 associate professors.
- Instruction is provided by a total of 223 teaching staff including 122 MU employees, 13 students and 88 external faculty members.
- A total of 4,513 applicants for studies were registered in 2015; 1,170 were subsequently accepted.
- A total of 31 disabled students are enrolled at the faculty (2014/2015 academic year).
- The number of outgoing students stands at 112, the number of incoming students from abroad is 5 (2014/2015 academic year).
- A total of 907 students graduated from the faculty in 2015: 246 from Bachelor’s programmes, 642 from Master’s programmes and 19 from doctoral programmes.
- Faculty graduates are extremely successful on the job market (see Graduate employment record).
- Since 1933, a total of 28,253 have graduated from the faculty.