• Do I need to speak Czech to study at Masaryk University?

    No, you don’t. Masaryk University also offers full degree programmes in the English language. There are Master’s programmes taught in English, and at the Doctoral level, candidates speaking English can enrol into a variety of programmes taught in English depending on their research background and interests.

  • What English level do I need to study at Masaryk University?

    You are required to have a sufficient command of English language to enable you to follow the course without linguistic difficulties. To prove your proficiency in English we ask for one of the following:

    • TOEFL – 550 for paper-based, 213 for computer-based, or 79 for Internet-based tests;
    • Cambridge IELTS written version - 6.5, CAE - B grade, CPE - C grade;
    • other internationally recognized certificates.

    (This doesn’t apply to native speakers and holders of a prior degree taught in English). You may be asked to demonstrate your English proficiency in a telephone interview.

  • Can I use English in daily life?

    Yes, almost all young Czech people can speak English well; you should not face any problems in dealing with everyday situations.

  • I want to study in Czech but do not speak any Czech. Can I study Czech preparatory course before?

    Yes, definitely. Masaryk University offers special one-year Preparatory Courses for students who require additional knowledge and Czech language training for entering into higher education degrees in Czech. The Preparatory Courses helps you acquire the study skills and develop the Czech language skills that facilitate you to access the higher education degree at Masaryk University of your choice. Besides the Czech language you will learn about the various aspects of Czech society and culture. For more information, please refer to: link to a new windowhttp://czs.muni.cz/en/in/students/studies/MU-admision-files/prep-year

  • Where can I find out the information about the study programmes?

    Please, refer directly to: http://www.muni.cz/international_students/programmes

  • Where can I find out the information about the scholarships?

    Please, refer directly to: http://www.muni.cz/international_students/scholarship

  • Which documents are usually required for admission?

    The qualification, skill and qualities needed for admission to Masaryk University vary from programme to programme. However, the minimum entry requirements for degree study are as follow:

    1. International qualifications which are equivalent to International Baccalaureate or A level qualification (for Bachelor’s programme), Bachelor’s degree certificate (for Master’s Programme)
    2. English language qualifications – this doesn’t apply to native speakers and holders of a prior degree taught in English.
    3. Curriculum Vitae
    4. Statement of purpose
    5. Recommendation letter

    Check the detail information directly on http://www.muni.cz/international_students/admission/en_master

  • How do I legalise my documents for use in the Czech Republic?

    The following information should be considered only a simplified description of a whole process of legalisation of the documents for use in the Czech Republic. Detailed rules concerning Recognition of Prior Education Attained are available at the following link:

    If you have degrees issued abroad and wish to enroll at our university (or any in the Czech Republic), you are required to obtain an official document confirming that your degree is recognised in the Czech Republic (This doesn’t apply those issued in Germany, Hungary, Poland and Slovenia according the bilateral agreements). This document is called A Recognition of Prior Education Attained Abroad (in the case of university education attained), or also as A Nostrification of Certificates Issued by School Abroad (in the case of secondary education attained).

    The request for degree recognition must contain the following documents:

    • An application form, including your current contact and additional information, for the Recognition of your Prior Foreign Education. (Application for the recognition of foreign educationdocument to download)
    • Certified copy of the university diploma, examination certificate or similar proof of the completion of studies issued by your university abroad.
    • Certified copy of the diploma supplement, possibly an original or approved copy of the transcript of records.
    • Official/certified translations of both documents into Czech or English language (if the documents are written in English, translations are not required).
    • Verification of Signatures and Stamps in the original university diploma is required in some cases and depends on existing international treaties that the Czech Republic has signed with relevant countries; In general the verification procedure exists in three different forms:
      1. the university diplomas are considered valid and there is no need for further verification of signatures and stamps; except those issued in the countries listed under “B”; please see the list of countries,
      2. the signatures and stamps need to be verified by the designating authorities in the country where the university diplomas were issued (to find the designating authority in your country, please refer to: http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.authorities&cid=41); further legalisation by a representative body of the Czech Republic in the country in question is not required; except those diplomas issued in the countries listed under “A”; please see the list of countries,
      3. the signatures and stamps on the relevant documents must be simultaneously authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the university in question is located (or relevant foreign authority) and the relevant representative body of the Czech Republic in that country; except those diplomas issued in the countries listed under “L”; please see the list of countries.
    • Written power of attorney, if submitted by a person other than you (on your behalf).

    If you wish to have your diplomas recognised by our university, please send the filled-in form together with all the above mentioned documents to the following address:

    Masaryk University
    Ms Lenka Dvořáková
    Rector’s office/ Office for studies     
    Zerotinovo nam. 9
    601 77 Brno
    Czech Republic
    Email: ldvorakova@rectdotmunidotcz
    Phone: +420 549 494 379
    Fax: +420 549 491 030

    Please note. Legalisation of the documents for use in the Czech Republic is only needed by students wishing to enroll at a Czech university for an entire degree programme, but not by visiting or exchange students. In the case of applicants for degree programmes, legalisation of documents is essential for admission. Thus it should be obtained before an applicant can receive the Decision on Admission or at the latest by the time of registration (usually in September of the first year of study), as faculties are not permitted to register students without it.

    We strongly recommend all degree applicants start working on legalisation of documents as soon as possible as the legalisation process takes some time, usually up to 30 days (60 days) in complex cases. But please bear in mind that you cannot start working on the legalisation of documents without having received your diploma/certificate.

  • How much is the tuition fee at Masaryk University?

    The tuition fees vary depending on the programmes and languages of tuition:

    Programmes Study-related fee / per year
    Programmes taught in Czech 0 EUR
    Programme taught in English 1900-9500 EUR *
    A preparatory year of Czech language 6200 EUR

    * For detailed information on tuition fees for studies in the English language, please refer to: http://www.muni.cz/study/attributes/tuition_fees_info

  • Is it expensive to live in the Czech Republic?

    Brno offers a high quality of life for quite a nice price. The cost of living is very low in the Czech Republic compared to other EU countries, and you will be able to live very comfortably without spending large sums. How much money will you actually need during your studies at MU? This indeed mainly depends on your spending habits. However, approx. costs that may help you budget for your life here are below:

    Basic Living Costs:
    (Exchange rates as on 14th July 2011: CZK/USD = 17,209, CZK/EUR=24,440; check the link to a new windowactual exchange rate)

    Bed at the University residence with roommates: 1800 CZK to 3100 CZK per bedroom
    Apartment with roommates: 2000 CZK to 8500 CZK per bedroom
    Monthly transportation pass: 265 CZK (for students of or under the age of 26 y/o), 530 CZK (for students older than 26 y/o)
    Groceries for a month: 2400 CZK to 3200 CZK

    Other Living Costs:

    Beer at a bar or restaurant: 20 CZK to 30 CZK
    Wine at a bar or restaurant: 35 CZK to 60 CZK
    Eating out: 80 CZK to 350 CZK for a meal and a drink
    Club cover charges: 100 CZK - 200 CZK, some have free entry for women.

  • Does the university offer a place to live for international students?

    Accommodation is provided for all who need it - international students usually live in a modern university residence that offers rooms for 2 people, each with an ensuite bathroom and kitchenette. Frequent and inexpensive public transport puts the university's faculties within easy reach. Besides, there are numerous offers of private housing that suit every taste. You can never starve during your studies too: 3 canteens and 8 cafeterias offering warm lunches and dinners, and there are also university pizzerias and restaurants.

  • Will I like a city of Brno?

    Brno, the capital of the Czech province of Moravia, is an ideal base for people wishing to study in Central Europe. The second largest city in the Czech Republic (pop. 400,000), it is large enough to possess all the benefits of a major European centre, but small enough to retain its cosiness and charm. It is home to six universities and over 75,000 students. The city's historical centre echoes that of Vienna, complete with cobblestone pedestrian zones and fascinating architecture spanning the whole period from the Middle Ages to the present day.

    Thanks to its strategic location at the heart of Central Europe, major regional centres such as Prague, Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest, and Krakow, are within easy reach by train and bus.

  • Can I work while I am studying?

    All students are allowed to do temporary work up to 150 hours per a year. If you want to work more than 150 hours per a year, then you need a work permit to undertake paid work of any kind (not applicable for those who come from the EU member countries).

    Short term job opportunities are available at the Facebook profile of the Centre for International Cooperation.

  • Are there any foreign students studying at Masaryk university?

    Studies at Masaryk University are truly international. 6100 degree students come from abroad, and there are hundreds of exchange students coming from around the world each year.

  • What is the weather like in the Czech Republic?

    Learn about the weather in the Czech Republic and other useful information on: http://www.muni.cz/international_students/why/useful_info