History of editing activities at MU
Almost 100 years of scientific and educational activities of Masaryk University. Imprint in specialized and study literature.
University’s edition activities originated in 1919 thanks to newly established faculties: Faculty of Law, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Science and Faculty of Arts started to publish series such as "Spisy", "Scripta", "Acta" which are still published up to the present day.
The 1939 closure of Czech universities by Nazis disrupted publishing activities of the university for long period of time.
After the Second World War the publications and scholarly journals were edited by State pedagogical publishing house.
That changed after 1965 when the university obtained "Publishing permission to publish and distribute scholarly works of its faculties as non-periodical publications". In 1965 the Edition center was established and in 2007 it was changed to Masaryk University Press.
With the development of the university and increasing number of faculties the production also increased. Nowadays Masaryk University publishes about 300 titles of scientific and popular education literature and about 60 scholarly and student magazines per year.