Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Workplace: National Centre for Biomolecular Research, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-years contract academic
Working Hours:1,0 FTE full time (for 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable
Number of Open Positions: 2 Pay: negotiable
Application Deadline: 31.10.2020
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
National Centre for Biomolecular Research at the Faculty of Science MU is focused on the study of bio(macro)molecules at the atomic level using experimental and computational methods. Equipment for nuclear magnetic resonance, crystallography, study of biomolecular interactions, genomics and proteomics is available. The department has access to powerful computational capacities used for computational chemistry, bioinformatics and chemoinformatics. The department also provides teaching and training of bachelor's, master's and doctoral students in study programs focused on bioinformatics, biomolecular chemistry, genomics and proteomics.
- Teaching bioinformatic lectures for Biochemistry and related study programs
- Creating study materials in Czech and English languages
- Contribution to study programs development, popularization of science
- Diploma theses supervision
- Membership in state exam committees
- Research in the field of biomacromolecular characterization and interaction
- Research aimed at study of protein/saccharide interactions and their involvement in host-pathogen interaction
- Active participation in scientific conferences, meetings and presentation of research results
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- PhD degree in Biochemistry, Biomolecular chemistry or Bioinformatics
- Teaching experience: at least 5 years of active teaching in the fields of Biochemistry, Bioinformatics or related
- Experience in diploma theses supervision
- Good communication skills (oral and written) in English and Czech – ability to teach a lecture in Czech and English language
- Conclusive experience in glycobiochemistry and structural glycobiology demonstrated by publications in high-quality international journals
- Publication activity: at least 10 publications in impact journals, total citations 50 or more
- Experience with molecular biology methods for recombinant protein preparation and their production.
- Advanced experience with biophysical methods for characterization of biomolecules and their interaction, especially with surface plasmon resonance (SPR), isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC) and protein stability methods like differential scanning fluorimetry (DSF) or differential scanning calorimetry (DSC).
- Experience with methods for structural characterization of biomacromolecules especially crystallography.
- Experience with research work in an international team
For detailed information on the job, you can contact: prof. Michaela Wimmerová, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 549498166
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Professional growth and the possibility of continuous education
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers ?, discounted language courses, discount in the university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- Support with your relocation to Brno by our International Staff Office
The application shall be submitted online by 31 of October 2020 via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below).
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or videoconference interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
We will send you a link to the e-application