POSTDOC POSITION in Primary Cilia Biology
- Lukáš Čajánek Research Group: Laboratory of Cilia and Centrosome Biology – Faculty of Medicine
- 31 Jan 2024
- Start date
- April 2024 or upon agreement
- Job type
- Job field
- Science and research
Medical Faculty of Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic invites excellent scientists to apply for a two-year
POSTDOC POSITION in Primary Cilia Biology
We are seeking a talented and motivated candidate to join our team to pursue the mechanisms and functions of primary cilia. The primary cilium is an antenna-like organelle that has emerged as a fundamental regulator of embryonic development as well as tissue homeostasis. Consequently, the deregulation of its assembly, maintenance, or function leads to numerous human diseases, collectively termed ciliopathies. It has been estimated that cilia dysfunctions are responsible for as many as 100 human diseases. However, the mechanistic explanation of primary cilia assembly and function, crucial for the understanding of cilia-related defects and their therapeutic targeting, is insufficient.
The successful candidate will join the lab of Dr. Lukáš Čajánek at Masaryk University in Brno. The lab has a long-term interest in revealing the molecular mechanisms of cilia assembly, maintenance, and cilia-mediated signalling in relation to the components of so called distal appendages localized at the base of primary cilia.
The selected applicant will have access to unique research tools, state-of-the-art methodology, and advanced instrumentation (cellular and animal models, proteomics, gene editing, lentiviral transduction, live cell imaging, super-resolution microscopy, etc.).
For more information on the research themes in the lab, please visit: www.cajaneklab.com
The successful candidate should:
- Hold a Ph.D. or its equivalent, awarded within the past 7 years.
- Have a research background that includes a minimum of 2 full years of work, within the last 3 years, in the field of research conducted outside the Czech Republic, with a workload equivalent to at least 0.5 full-time employment, or have experience as a doctoral student (or equivalent) in an international setting.
- Demonstrate a publication record that includes a minimum of three research outputs (articles) within the past three years, surpassing the field's median standards, with at least two of them ranked in Q1 according to Web of Science.
Specific qualifications include:
- Possess a Ph.D. in cell biology, molecular biology, or related fields
- Demonstrate a strong publication record in esteemed scientific journals, including at least one first-author research article.
- Exhibit expertise in mammalian cell culture, a wide array of molecular biology techniques, and advanced microscopy (considered advantageous).
- Clearly demonstrate an interest in and an aptitude for addressing scientific challenges.
- Be capable of independently planning experiments, prioritizing tasks, resolving project-related issues, and engaging in critical thinking.
- Have exceptional communication and documentation skills.
- Display a high level of motivation, creativity, proactivity, and self-driven initiative.
- An initial two-year appointment.
- An exceptionally competitive salary, commensurate with the applicant's skills and proficiency.
- An enticing position within a rapidly evolving university precinct.
- A range of diverse and stimulating responsibilities within an outstanding research environment.
- The opportunity to collaborate with a professional team in a comfortable work environment.
- Interaction with renowned scientists within an inspiring, globally-connected setting.
A dedicated welcome service tailored to the needs of the successful candidate and their family.
Include these in your application:
- A comprehensive CV, detailing your publication history,
- a copy of your diploma,
- a cover letter that encompasses the following: a) Highlight your most significant research contributions, explaining their importance and the impact they have had, b) Describe your research interests and outline your career aspirations, c) Explain your interest in this position, emphasizing the alignment and synergy between the host lab and your specific research background,
- contact information for two referees who can provide insights into your qualifications,
documentation confirming that you have accumulated a minimum of two full years of work experience outside the Czech Republic within the past three years, and/or a Ph.D. diploma from a foreign institution.
Anticipated start date: The position is available from April 2024
The submission deadline is 31st January 2024
How to apply:
Please use the "E-Application" link below. After submitting your application, you will receive an automatic confirmation of acceptance via email. For more information, contact Mgr. Lukas Cajanek, Ph.D. by e-mail: email@example.com
Further information about:
- Medical Faculty is available at https://www.med.muni.cz/en
- Masaryk University is available at https://www.muni.cz/en
- Brno is available at https://www.gotobrno.cz/en/
We will send you a link to the e-application