Mission, Values and Vision
Masaryk University strives to create and disseminate knowledge, thus enhancing the quality of life and fostering cultural growth in the community. This mission stems from the university’s founding values.
Since its founding following the establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic, Masaryk University has always respected and professed values reflecting the republican and democratic ethos of that initial period. To this day, such values form the basis of its internal culture and are widely embraced by the academic community.
These values are:
- Freedom, respected and defended as the governing principle of the inner workings of the university in terms of the academic freedom of teaching and research, freedoms such as a students’ right to design their own curricula freedom as the principle of institutional autonomy exercised by the university towards the state, and – last but not least – freedom as a social imperative.
- Respect for rules ensuring equal opportunities and transparency regarding the functioning of the institution, as manifested e.g. by internal administrative and economic settings, study-related regulations and the war on plagiarism.
- Responsibility, comprising the university’s public role, as exemplified by its function with respect to the creation of public opinion and active participation in public debate as well as its significance as knowledge and technology transfer mediator and public service provider and its position as a university which welcomes both disadvantaged students and members of various minorities. In terms of an inwardly-oriented approach, individual responsibility for the choice and structuring of one’s own curriculum forms the basis for the functioning of an open and autonomous study environment.
By 2015, Masaryk University will be:
- a research university boasting an internationally respected research programme, a distinguished profile and state-of-the-art infrastructure and research results visible on a European scale;
- a university providing high-quality teaching based on original research and implemented in accordance with international trends in university education, heightening its attractiveness for students in the Central European region; a university striving to live up to its name as one of the most prominent Czech universities, fully capable of equipping graduates with lasting educational values;
- a university whose opinion will be a respected leading voice in the Czech environment, especially in the areas of higher education and research;
- a university, whose significant involvement in partnerships with educational and research institutions as well as various private businesses and public institutions will be directed at improving the relevance and enhancing the application of academic activity results on a broad scale.
- a university providing attractive employment opportunities on a national as well as Central European scale, utilizing a targeted personnel policy to promote the growth of skills of existing staff as well as attracting new skilled employees, especially from abroad;
- a university taking an active part in international collaborative efforts on both a European and worldwide scale.