The study programme of Applied Geography is designed to offer a relatively wide spectrum of geographical knowledge and skills stressing the processes relevant for the local and regional dimension of environmental, social, economic, and ecological development. The students should obtain knowledge and skills needed for the reasonable implementation and evaluation of the aforementioned processes, taking into account the widely accepted international principles of regional and sustainable development. The objective of the studies is to lead students to a complex geographical understanding of reality that is composed of natural, societal, cultural, and economic spheres. They should be able to communicate with a broad spectrum of experts dealing with practical problems of local and regional development, regarding the sustainability of these processes. One of the goals of this Master's degree programme is to prepare the graduates for their professional commitment, either as individuals or in working teams. The graduates should be broadly adaptable employees able to work in expert teams and organizations.
A successful graduate is able to
- formulate basic problems in the system of natural environment - human society in selected regions
- analyse and synthesize individual components of natural environment and society
- perform field work including modern methods of data collection
- effectively apply statistical methods, computers, and information technologies for the analysis of geographical reality
- use professional terminology and communicate in foreign language
- critically evaluate knowledge related to phenomena, processes, and interrelations in a landscape
- solve particular problems independently, connect their activities with professionals from related fields of science dealing with environment and landscape
- manage such working (research) teams, organize communication with a non-geographical community
The graduates can find employment in design and consultancy companies, departments of civil administration at the local, regional and central levels, in research institutions focusing both on basic and applied research (departments of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic), as well as in the applied research in geography and follow-up branches (Ministry of Environment), in the departments of agriculture, and bodies and institutions of both of these departments, and also at universities and non-profit environmental organizations. They can also progress to study in one of the doctoral degree programmes.
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Applied Geography
This field of study is only offered in single-subject study mode
The information displayed in this block refers to a previous admission procedure.
Written exam includes special test of geography and cartography on the level of bachelor study. (only in Czech)
As seen on web: http://www.geogr.muni.cz/
Applicants will be accepted on the base of their entrance exam. The result of special test is also counted.