Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Civics
The basic objective of the Master's programme is to prepare primary and lower secondary school teachers in civic education (in a combination of two subjects) as part of the educational area People and Society as defined in the Framework Educational Programme for Elementary Education. The programme provides students with integrated knowledge and skills based on the field of civic education and its didactics, pedagogical and psychological disciplines with the support of current research findings, the skill of reflection on the teaching process at the appropriate types and levels of education, the skill of self-reflection in the teacher's role and the acceptance of moral obligations and the ethics of a teacher. The aim of the programme is to prepare graduates for the profession of teachers of civic education in primary and lower secondary schools, to develop professional skills and gain knowledge from the social sciences which they can then use in their teaching. Another important goal is to equip graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary for their civic participation in a democratic society. Graduates are given a full university education to become civics teachers for primary and lower secondary schools. Moreover, they are qualified to work in extracurricular (e.g. free-time) institutions. They are ready to base their professional conduct on well-structured knowledge and skills from the social sciences. The effectiveness of their professional conduct is subject to their acquired didactic knowledge of content related to the teaching of civics in primary and lower secondary schools and their general pedagogical and psychological knowledge and skills (knowledge of a broader foundation of education and training, knowledge of educational practice, knowledge about the participants in education, etc.).
A successful graduate is able to
- create a general image of society and understand a person's role within society (from both the historical and the current point of view) based on the knowledge gained in the fields of social sciences
- understand, interpret and critically evaluate social science texts
- apply gained knowledge and skills to teaching civics at primary and lower secondary schools
- plan lessons, use combinations of various methods and forms of teaching
- include modern approaches (project teaching, problem teaching)
- apply gained knowledge and skills as a professional worker specialized in cooperating with authorities and institutions of the European Union in the spheres of public administration, non-profit organizations and the private sector
- use modern information technology
A teacher of civics education for primary and lower secondary schools, an instructor in free-time centres, a professional employee in state administrative structures, NGOs and in the private sector specialized in cooperation with the institutions of the European Union.
|Faculty||Faculty of Education|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Civics
Combinations with fields of Faculty of Education
Combinations with fields of other faculties
Faculty of Sports Studies
Lower and Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Physical Education
BASICS OF HUMAN SCIENCES
Applicants will take a test covering the field "Basics of Human Sciences", detailed information here (Czech only).
Conditions and criteria for admission to studies in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes at the Faculty of Education, MU are made public on the PdF website http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium.