Ecological and Evolutionary Biology
This study programme provides theoretical knowledge and basic practical skills in the broader field of biology with focus on botany, zoology, and ecology. The principal objectives of the programme are (1) to prepare graduates for further studies in the follow-up Master's degree programmes and (2) to enable them to make an informed choice about further specialization, in particular within the Ecological and Evolutionary Biology Master's study programme, where they may choose between a botanical or zoological focus. Students are already working towards this decision in the course of the Bachelor's study programme by choosing specialized elective courses or the entire integrated modules consisting of such courses.
A successful graduate is able to
- understand and reproduce the basic knowledge in general biology, including molecular biology genetics and physiology
- explain and interpret fundamental technical terms in botany, zoology and ecology
- recognize or identify typical members of the Central European flora and fauna and place them within the phylogenetic system
- recognize members of lower plants, fungi and invertebrates on the level of higher taxa
- collect biological data by an appropriate method and analyse them correctly by basic biostatistical methods
- conduct desk top research using all relevant information sources and summarize and interpret the obtained information
- present results of their own research in written and oral form of adequate standard
The graduates of this study programme have acquired basic theoretical knowledge and special practical skills in the fields of general biology, botany, zoology and ecology. They are able to work as research assistants and analysts under guidance and supervision within institutions conducting basic and applied research or public administration in the field of nature conservation and environmental protection, such as biological departments of universities, biological institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences, state institutions responsible for nature conservation and environmental protection, private companies providing assessments in the fields of nature conservation and environmental protection, natural history departments of museums, botanical gardens, forestry and agricultural research institutes under the corresponding ministries, and comparable institutions abroad.
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Type of study||bachelor's|
|Standard length of studies||3 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Ecological and Evolutionary Biology
This field of study is only offered in single-subject study mode
The part of admission test is written test, which includes: TSP (every TSP on any faculty of MU). (Czech only)
Grammar school textbooks on natural sciences are recommended (mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology).
Minimal level of grades in TSP.