The two-year study programme of Botany is a part of the Master's degree programme in Ecological, Evolutionary and Systematic Biology. Besides lectures and seminars, a substantial part of the education is performed in the field where graduates gain not only methodical skills but also learn to apply theoretical knowledge on the landscape or ecosystem level. Although students become familiar with the plant diversity of Central Europe, they can effectively apply their theoretical knowledge and practical skills in any ecosystem or biome on Earth. The study programme consists of three specializations: (1) Plant Biosystematics, (2) Plant Ecology and (3) Phycology and Mycology. This type of education provides appropriate pre-requisites for the potential follow-up doctoral study programme of Botany and Ecology at universities in the Czech Republic or abroad.
A successful graduate is able to
- perform independent or team botanical research at the level of individual plants, populations, species or plant communities
- design sampling strategy, organize field and laboratory experiments and organize field expeditions
- determine common species of algae, fungi, lichens, bryophytes and most of species of vascular plants in Central Europe
- apply theoretical knowledge in plant evolution and ecology to design case studies in botany and nature protection
- select relevant analytical methods, including statistical, and correctly interpret results of ecological, phylogenetic and evolutionary studies
Graduates have knowledge and skills to be able to perform basic and applied research or teaching at biological departments of universities, basic and applied research at biological institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences, at state or private institutions of nature conservation and environmental protection (e.g., Nature Conservation Agency of the Czech Republic, National Parks, Protected Landscape Areas), at departments of natural history museums, botanical gardens, forest and agricultural research institutes and at comparable institutions abroad.
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Botany
This field of study is only offered in single-subject study mode
The information displayed in this block refers to a previous admission procedure.
This study field is possible to study only in Czech language.
The same literature as seen on bachelor study programme.
Applicants will be accepted in the sequence of their points from both parts of exam and according to capacity of the branch.
Link to website of the Department of Botany and Zoology: "http://botzool.sci.muni.cz/"