The Master's study programme in Computational Biology deepens students' biological, mathematical and computer science knowledge gained in the Bachelor's study programme and allows them to specialize in one of the three main areas:
1) processing and analysis of biological, genomic and proteomic data
2) processing, analysis and modelling of clinical, physiological and epidemiological data
3) processing, analysis and modelling of environmental data
Based on the knowledge and skills acquired during the Bachelor's study programme, students deepen their theoretical knowledge as well as application skills with the main focus on principles of mathematical methods used in the processing, analysis and modelling of data in all of the three areas mentioned above. The practical part of the studies as well as the Master's thesis topics emphasize the application of mathematical methods and information technology in solving specific problems.
A successful graduate is able to
- understand fundamental and advanced theoretical and methodological principles of biology and mathematics
- use elementary methods for solving differential equations and apply simple continuous deterministic models in biology and medicine
- use stochastic methods for assessment, modelling and prediction of causality and other relations between phenomena in biology and medicine
- solve given problem regarding biological, medical or environmental data analysis and define specific sub-tasks within the solution
- search for the state of the art of the given problem in the Czech as well as foreign literature
- select appropriate mathematical methods for solving the given problem, or propose their modification based on the specific conditions of the given problem
- create software implementing the selected or newly designed mathematical methods under specified conditions of the given problem
- formulate and present conclusions of the mathematical solution to the given problem, in both written and oral form
Graduates of the Computational Biology study programme can stay in academia (Czech and foreign universities, centres for clinical research, the Czech Academy of Sciences), or find employment in the health sector (public and private hospitals), private sector (pharmaceutical companies, companies engaged in conducting clinical trials, companies engaged in marketing surveys) or other fields (health insurance companies, government sector).
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Mathematical Biology
This field of study is only offered in single-subject study mode
The information displayed in this block refers to a previous admission procedure.
Admission test includes special test of science disciplines on the level of bachelor study programme, after that there is on oral exam. (only in Czech)
As seen on bachelor exam.
Result of entrance test.
More information about the study of Computational Biology can be found at the following web sites: