English Language for Education
The objective of the study programme is to provide quality education for teacher assistants and future teachers of English in an inspiring, stimulating and creative environment. Emphasis is placed equally on the development of professional skills and gaining knowledge of relevant disciplines that graduates will use in their teaching practice. The study shapes and develops basic attitudes and values of graduates so that they can become active, responsible and independent members of their profession and society.
The Bc. study programme is to provide the students with basic knowledge and skills in various areas of linguistics, literature, culture and history of English-speaking countries and the foundations of didactics. In order to obtain comprehensive teacher education the graduates are expected to continue their studies in the Master's programme, which will focus on studying English language teaching methodology and creating relationships between different linguistic, cultural and literary disciplines and didactics of English. The idea of the study programme envisages a Master's degree with didactic culmination of all disciplines and the application of knowledge acquired from linguistics, literature, history and culture on teaching practice in primary and lower secondary schools.
A successful graduate is able to
- use both spoken and written language at C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- manifest theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the field of phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, and lexicology; demonstrate the knowledge of linguistic terminology and use it when explaining specific linguistic issues
- demonstrate the knowledge of society, culture and history of the USA, Great Britain, and other English-speaking countries; identify cultural values and norms and interpret their significance
- show an understanding of major literary movements in British and American literature, their main representatives and significant literary texts and relevant literary terms; analyse and interpret literary texts as forms of cultural expression
- have an insight into principles, methods and techniques of teaching English to different age groups and levels of students, including an appropriate choice and use of teaching materials for different groups
The double-subject Bachelor's degree programme trains students for the position of a teacher of the English language in the contexts of leisure-time activities in free-time centres, in language schools and courses, possibly in language classes in nurseries, and in adult language education.
|Faculty||Faculty of Education|
|Type of study||bachelor's|
|Standard length of studies||3 years|
|Language of instruction||english, czech|
Field combinations with English Language for Education
Combinations with fields of
Combinations with fields of other faculties
Faculty of Sports Studies
Animator of Sport Activities
||Apply for combination|
The applicants will take the Learning Potential Test (in Czech language!) http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium/test-studijnich-predpokladu and a field of study examination - written test on English language.
Conditions and criteria for admission to studies in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes at the Faculty of Education, MU are made public on the PdF website http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium.
Further information can be acquired at the MU Department of English Language and Literature or at http://katedry.ped.muni.cz/anglictina