Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in French Language
The main objective of the study of Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in French Language is to produce fully qualified teachers who have acquired solid knowledge and skills in the spheres of French language and the ways of teaching it, who can research and deal with professional issues and who are capable of further self-education based on their own self-reflection. The focus of this Master's degree is to synthesise and expand on existing professional linguistic, literary and historical knowledge as well as to develop further didactic methods of teaching French. The individual specialisations of each student play an important role. Emphasis is placed on acquiring active knowledge of contemporary language and culture of the French and francophone world, based on a solid methodological approach, and the ways in which these can be applied to teaching practice. Students can then apply the acquired knowledge and skills, and their creative application, in both educational or non-educational practice, in professional work placements.
Unlike the courses which concentrate on philology and translation studies as well as the courses preparing secondary school teachers which are based at Philosophical Faculties, Teaching French at Primary and Lower Secondary School Level is only available at the Faculty of Education, Masaryk University (MU).
The well-structured common core basis of the Faculty's teaching courses which concentrate on the pedagogical and psychological aspects, a combination of theoretical studies with practical work experience in schools and other cultural institutions, and a focused concentration on the appropriate didactic methods contribute to the undisputed high quality of graduates.
A successful graduate is able to
- use French at the C2 level in receptive activities (listening and reading) and C1 level in production activities (spoken and written) according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (communication competency)
- explain professional terminology; interpret linguistic and linguo-didactic professional literature and make use of it in their teaching practice (linguistic competency)
- critically evaluate their own culture, compare it with the Francophone cultures and intermediate direct as well as indirect contacts with Francophone countries for their pupils (socio-cultural competency)
- interpret literary styles of French and Francophone literature, especially for children and teenagers. Select suitable texts for their lessons in order to stimulate their pupils' interest and develop their personalities (literary sciences competency)
- organise their lessons by combining the various methods from the field of French language didactics, using modern technologies and creating creative teaching materials (didactic competency)
- build upon the above mentioned competencies and further their education, for example in the form of postgraduate studies of foreign language didactics or special teaching practices; or in the form of lifelong learning
- react to developments in their field and new recommendations for language learning
The graduates of this study programme are ready to actively and independently apply their well structured professional knowledge and skills within the framework of an educational curriculum at primary and lower level secondary schools and also in the sphere of after-school and leisure time activities. They are fully qualified teachers of French language for primary and lower level secondary schools. They are also qualified to work in institutions which require a pedagogical qualification, e.g. instructors or tutors at language schools authorised for state language examinations.
|Faculty||Faculty of Education|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in French Language
Combinations with fields of Faculty of Education
Combinations with fields of other faculties
Faculty of Sports Studies
Lower and Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Physical Education
||Apply for combination|
BASICS OF HUMAN SCIENCES
Applicants will take a test covering the field "Basics of Human Sciences", detailed information here (Czech only).
Conditions and criteria for admission to studies in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes at the Faculty of Education, MU are made public on the PdF website http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium.