Civics and Social Studies Basic with a view to Education
The aim of the Bachelor's study programme Civics and Social Sciences is to gain knowledge in the field of social sciences which graduates use in work as an assistant teacher, as well as in the subsequent Master's programme. Students gain the ability to shape themselves as free citizens with their own judgment and critical thinking skills, and to apply this in the educational process. They should also develop attitudes towards themselves and to others, and to educate individuals based on human values and awareness of the responsibilities of the teaching profession.
Another important goal of the studies is to create the conditions for students to shape the methodological content of their knowledge based on the relevant social science disciplines and thus prepare graduates for continued studies in Teaching Civic Education at Primary and Secondary Schools in the subsequent Master's programme. Graduates have basic specialist education with a field-didactic component and are prepared for the follow-up Master's studies. Graduates can work as a teaching assistant, instructor in free-time centres, as an educator in youth centres, educator in after-school clubs, and in various civic associations involved in educational activities.
A successful graduate is able to
- create a general image of society and understand a person's role within society, from both the historical and current point of view, based on the knowledge gained in the fields of social sciences
- understand, interpret, critically judge and present social science texts based on the development of critical thinking and practical experience with such texts
- write a piece of text or a project related to one of the themes of social sciences
- apply gained knowledge and skills to the profession of teacher assistant of civics at primary schools
- be familiar with the basic documents governing the educational process at primary and secondary schools
- use modern information technologies
The possible occupations for graduates are as teaching assistants of civics teachers, or specialists in the structures of government, NGOs and the private sector where activities are focussed mainly on cooperation with EU institutions and bodies.
|Faculty||Faculty of Education|
|Type of study||bachelor's|
|Standard length of studies||3 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Civics and Social Studies Basic with a view to Education
Combinations with fields of
Combinations with fields of other faculties
Faculty of Sports Studies
Animator of Sport Activities
||Apply for combination|
The applicants will take the Learning Potential Test (in Czech language!) http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium/test-studijnich-predpokladu.
Conditions and criteria for admission to studies in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes at the Faculty of Education, MU are made public on the PdF website http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium.