Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in English Language
The aim of this study programme, which it is possible to study as a single or double–subject programme, is to prepare lower-secondary school teachers of English in an inspiring, stimulating and creative environment.
The Master’s degree programme focuses primarily on the study of the didactics of the English language and on forming relationships between the particular linguistic, cultural, and literary disciplines and the didactics of English. An emphasis is put on the didactic implications of all the disciplines and the practical application of all the knowledge to teaching practice at lower secondary schools.
The single-subject programme is designed for graduates of the Bachelor’s degree programme Specialization in Pedagogy, Teacher Training in Foreign Languages - English Language, the Bachelor’s degree programme Philology, English Language and Literature at faculties of arts, or the Bachelor’s degree programme Specialization in Pedagogy, Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in English Language and Literature (double-subject study) at faculties of education and for graduates of similar study fields.
The double-subject study combination of the follow-up Master’s degree in Teacher Training for Primary and Lower Secondary Schools is designed for graduates from Bachelor’s studies of Lower Secondary School Teacher Training of a relevant combination of two study fields or relevant double-subject programmes.
A successful graduate is able to
- use spoken and written language at C1+ level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- understand the essentials of basic linguistic fields
- analyze authentic texts and use them creatively for practical purposes in their own teaching
- apply the acquired knowledge in the field of linguistics in their own teaching
- interpret specific relations between culture and language
- analyze the influence of intercultural aspects on communication among different cultures
- assess the impact of socio-cultural aspects, namely prejudice, racism and xenophobia, on the formation of a multicultural society
- apply their cultural knowledge in their teaching practice
- demonstrate knowledge of Anglo-American literature with a focus on literature for children and young adults
- critically evaluate a text and place it in a historical, cultural and social context
- choose literary texts suitable for teaching at lower secondary schools and work with them to develop not only their pupils’ communicative competence but also their personalities
- acquire knowledge of basic issues of language acquisition; be familiar with mandatory curricular documents for teaching English
- plan lessons, use combinations of various methods and forms of teaching, including current approaches (project teaching, e-learning) and assess them critically
- choose relevant teaching materials for lower secondary schools and be able to process didactic materials creatively
The graduates of the Master's programme are equipped with the necessary competences that enable them to work as lower secondary English teachers or English teachers at language schools. They are also qualified for work in out-of-school institutions (e.g. free-time centres). They can also be employed in non-teaching positions requiring an excellent knowledge of English (e.g. in public administration).
|Faculty||Faculty of Education|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||english|
Field combinations with Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in English Language
This field of study is only offered in single-subject study mode