Geology combined with Archaeology
The specialized study programme of Geology Combined with Archaeology builds on the knowledge gained in geological branches needed for archaeological research, such as palaeontology, stratigraphy, mineralogy, petrology, regional geology, quarternary geology, karsology and osteology.
The goal in the follow-up Master's degree programme is to consolidate and deepen, irrespective of the chosen study programme, education gained in the previous Bachelor's degree programme and get professional qualifications in geology. The graduates are qualified to work independently and creatively in geological branches as theoreticians, practical geologists or educators.
A successful graduate is able to
- formulate and solve particular problems in an independent and creative way;
- explain and use principal geological terminology in logical context and deduce new information;
- recognize principal minerals, rocks, fossils used in prehistory, interpret these products from geological point of view, select method for instrumental analysis;
- use geological research methods including geological documentation of archaeological localities, sampling, data processing etc., choose the best method for problem solving;
- solve independently archaeological problems using complex geological methods, interpret results of the research in relation to other information, and present the outcomes in written and oral form.
The graduates are qualified for basic and applied research, for managerial professions and for the spheres where both theoretical and practical knowledge of geology is required, namely in institutes for the preservation of archaeological monuments, Institute of Archaeology of the Czech Academy of Sciences and other archaeological institutions, Institute of Geology of the Czech Academy of Sciences, in education, municipal departments of culture or environment or in museums.
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Geology combined with Archaeology
Combinations with fields of other faculties
Faculty of Arts
The information displayed in this block refers to a previous admission procedure.
Written test on the level of bachelor exam (only in Czech).
As seen on bachelor exam.
Result of entrance test.