Geographical Cartography and Geoinformatics
In this study programme the students deepen their knowledge in the areas of digital cartography and geographic information systems (GIS), and develop the newly acquired skills and abilities in the use of the latest information and communication technologies and methods of digital photogrammetry, remote sensing, and positioning systems, as well as the ability to interpret and visualize geographic (spatial) information. A particular emphasis is placed on the area of Big Data, the process of their transformation to Smart Data, and related alternative visualizations.
In addition to the content and technological aspects, attention is paid to security and legislative aspects of spatial data. In relation to the basic documents of the Czech Republic and the EU information policy (e.g. INSPIRE) and the creation of the information society, the students also address the utilization of geographic information, including information from volunteers (Volunteer Geographic Information - VGI) within the portals of public administration and local government, as well as private or study portals that form a part of the implementation of the Geoinfostrategy of the Czech Republic.
A successful graduate is able to
- do independent analytical work in the field of elaboration of geographic data for cartographic visualisation purposes in electronic or analogue forms, with ability of automatization of his/her work
- formulate and solve particular problems in an independent and creative way
- do research work using scientific papers, books, and digital Internet sources
- design, work with, and use analogue and digital topographic and thematic maps
- use GIS, Remote sensing, GPS and others ITC techniques creatively, as well as knowledge about SDI (INSPIRE, COPERNICUS, GEOSS), creation of geoinformation policies and locational strategies in the Czech Republic, EU, and overseas countries
- use basic knowledge of how to prepare research projects, and how to communicate with people in Czech, Slovak, and other foreign languages
- realize and manage field work, apply statistical methods effectively, analyse and synthesize individual components of natural environment
- formulate basic problems in the system of natural environment - human society in selected regions
- critically evaluate knowledge related to phenomena, processes, and interrelations in a landscape
- solve particular problems, connect their own activities with professionals from related sciences dealing with environment and landscape
- manage such working (research) teams, organize communication with a non-geographical community
- adapt in their own work to the changing needs of society and practice, e.g. in the field of early warning and disaster management
The graduates are qualified for work in basic and applied research, in managerial occupations, and wherever it is necessary to combine theoretical knowledge of geography with specific practical procedures.
The graduates will find employment especially in all workplaces where the use of cartographic visualization is needed. They should be members of teams or team leaders working in the field of GI science. Working with GIS, GNSS, and remote sensing devices are further opportunities for the graduates due to a full range of knowledge acquired during their studies.
Employment opportunities in the field of basic and applied research may be of the national and departmental nature - solving research projects at universities, the design and planning institutes and companies, public administration, and others. The graduates are capable of independent scientific work and can suggest creative solutions to complex problems.
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Geographical Cartography and Geoinformatics
This field of study is only offered in single-subject study mode
The information displayed in this block refers to a previous admission procedure.
Written test includes special test of Thematic cartography and basics of cartography on the level of bachelor study. (only in Czech)
As seen on web: http://www.geogr.muni.cz/ - požadavky k bakalářské zkoušce.
Applicants will be accepted on the base of their entrance exam. The result of special test is also counted.