Czech Language and Literature for Education
The objective of the Czech Language and Literature with a View to Education Bachelor's study programme is to prepare qualified specialists with a university degree who are able to work at institutions requiring expert knowledge of the Czech language and Czech literature. The graduates receive basic specialized education that contains inter-subject didactics. They are prepared to study for a Master’s degree in Education or in the field of the Czech language and literature, journalism etc.
The objective of the study is to actively acquire special knowledge and skills from the fields of the Czech language and Czech literature, including the skill of working with texts, i.e. to analyse a text from the aspect of linguistic correctness, stylistic refinement, and also from the literary-theoretical and literary-critical aspects. The study programme is designed in such a way that graduates are able to apply the acquired theoretical knowledge, evaluate texts critically, analyse and correct texts, undertake literary-scientific evaluation and interpret texts. They also acquire the skill of developing creative activities with literary texts and literary activities. During their studies, the students’ linguistic and literary-theoretical prerequisites for creative literary and journalistic authorship and their prerequisites for giving consultations in the field of the Czech language and literature are developed.
The graduates are also equipped with basic didactic skills that are required for working as an assistant to a Czech language and literature teacher. Primarily, they are able to teach pupils to interpret literary texts and to help pupils to express themselves in a cultivated manner appropriate for a particular situation.
The study also includes foreign language teaching. The requirement of students' level of one foreign language knowledge is at least the level A2 (according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). The teaching follows in this level.
A successful graduate is able to
- express themselves fluently, respect and observe linguistic correctness and stylistic refinement
- explain the contemporary form of the Czech language on the basis of knowledge of diachronic language development; be knowledgeable in the theory and system of contemporary Czech
- characterize basic stages, work and personalities of Czech literature from the 19th and 20th centuries, of literature for children and young adults and selected world literature; characterize literary terms; be knowledgeable in methodology
- carry out linguistic and stylistic analysis, linguistic proofreading and an arrangement of stylization of a text
- analyse a literary text on the basis of knowledge of theory of literature and literary criticism, write their own professional text (comment on a professional issue, literary study, critical review, resume, annotation)
- practically apply knowledge of basics of textology and succeed in editorial work with a text
- develop pupils’ abilities to interpret a text and to understand literary and non-literary texts
- help pupils to express themselves in a cultivated manner and support development of their reading and interest in literature and literary affairs
Characteristics of professions and institutions where the acquired education can be used:
- assistant in the studied field of education, i.e. the Czech language and literature;
- instructor at free-time centres;
- educator at youth centres and at after-school clubs;
- instructor or teacher at various citizens' associations connected with education;
- editor or proofreader;
- employee at cultural institutions requiring education in the Czech language and literature (linguistic consultant for radio and TV, theatres, etc.).
|Faculty||Faculty of Education|
|Type of study||bachelor's|
|Standard length of studies||3 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Czech Language and Literature for Education
Combinations with fields of
The applicants will take the Learning Potential Test (in Czech language!) http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium/test-studijnich-predpokladu.
Conditions and criteria for admission to studies in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes at the Faculty of Education, MU are made public on the PdF website http://www.ped.muni.cz/studium/pro-uchazece-o-studium.