Chemistry of Conservation - Restoration
The Master's study programme of Chemistry of Conservation - Restoration prepares university educated specialists who, during their study, develop their basic knowledge and skills in natural sciences (especially chemistry), materials, processes and methodologies of conservation-restoration of artefacts made of inorganic and organic materials. The study is focused mainly on advanced techniques of material survey and advanced processes and methodologies in conservation-restoration. The aim of the study is to educate specialists who will be able, besides common tasks (analyses, determination of level of degradation, proposals and performance of suitable way of intervention, preventive conservation, documentation etc.), to find their use in the field of research and development. Owing to their education graduates are able to design experiments and model tests and on the basis of obtained results to develop new processes, technologies, materials and agents (not only) in the field of cultural heritage care.
A successful graduate is able to
- show a good knowledge of laboratory techniques
- work with sources of scientific information
- handle (dangerous) chemical substances
- propose and perform (advanced) instrumental analyses and surveys and to interpret their results
- show a good knowledge of advanced processes and methodologies used in the field of cultural heritage preservation
- approach comprehensively solving chemical and physical problems
- publish the results of their work in scientific literature and present them at scientific meetings
Owing to an advanced training in chemistry of conservation-restoration combined with museology, graduates are able to work in institutions concerned with the preservation of cultural heritage, e.g. museums, galleries, libraries, archives etc. Graduates can also find employment in research and development not only in the field of cultural heritage preservation (development of new processes, technologies, agents, etc.) but in chemical research and development in general.
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Type of study||follow-up master's|
|Standard length of studies||2 years|
|Language of instruction||czech|
Field combinations with Chemistry of Conservation - Restoration
This field of study is only offered in single-subject study mode
Written exam on the bachelor exam level (only in Czech).
As seen on bachelor exam.
Result of entrance exam.