Long-term residence permit for the purpose of employment

If you are coming to the Czech Republic to work for a period exceeding 3 months you can apply for the Long-term residence permit for the purpose of employment commonly referred to as an Employee Card. The standard time for processing is up to 60 days from the submission date.

How to apply

The application must be presented in person at the nearest diplomatic mission of the Czech Republic abroad. If there is no Czech Embassy, the application can be submitted in another country with the Czech Embassy/ consular section (see here).

All documents which accompany the application (see list below) must be in Czech or be officially translated if the original versions are not written in Czech.

  • Purpose of stay (employment contract, work agreement or agreement of future employment, document proving qualification – if required)
  • Proof of accommodation (ie. lease agreement etc.) – original sent by mail (not electronically)
  • Proof of financial means (ie. bank statement, international credit card etc.)
  • Criminal history from your country of origin and from other states where you have been resident for over 6 months during the last 3 years (translated into Czech by a certified translator and provided with an apostille if needed).
    • The obligation does not apply to minors under 15 years.
    • The criminal history may be replaced by an affidavit if a given state does not issue such a document.
  • Travel document (passport)
  • 2 photographs - passport size
  • Travel health insurance to cover the period between arrival and the date of the beginning of the employment (after the application has been approved).
    • Travel health insurance up to the commencement date of employment ; the insurance plan of the employee applies afterwards. Travel insurance can be arranged through a commercial insurance company (travel health insurance valid in all Schengen countries). It can be also be arranged through an insurance company abroad however in that case it has to be officially translated into Czech.
  • Application form – must be filled out in Czech

Once your application is approved you can collect the entry visa ("D/VR") from the embassy and depart for the Czech Republic. If you are a citizen of the country that has a visa-free agreement with the CR you are free to travel to the CR after your application has been accepted by the embassy and collect the residency card in the CR after notice from the Ministry of Interior. This must be done within 3 months after arrival and careful timing is imperative.

You are running an old browser version. We recommend updating your browser to its latest version.

More info