International employees

Foreign employees who come to work at Masaryk University get support and help from the Welcome Office which is a part of the MU Centre of International Cooperation (CZS). The WO is a university-wide contact and advisory centre which assists all international employees who are working at MU over 3 months in duration. The Welcome Office is able to help and advise all employees and their family members, with a range of related issues.

Welcome at Masaryk University!

Being a foreigner, you can face a number of obstacles and challenges before arrival and during your stay in the Czech Republic. Welcome Office is ready to help you with a number of different issues.

International students, interns and short-term visiting academics/researchers should refer to their faculties/institutes or departments. Please find more information and contacts on the website of the MU Centre for International Cooperation or on (Organizational structure of MU).

Information for international employees of MU:

Before arrival

Current job offer

Please explore open positions at Masaryk University here.

Welcome service

Welcome Office offers all international employees coming to Masaryk University for more than 3 months a complex service and helps with all practicalities mentioned below for a smooth start. Fill in the online form and we will get in touch with you.

Do you need a visa?
  • If you and your family members are EU/EEA/CH citizens, none of you need a visa. 
  • If you or a family member are citizens of another country, you must have a valid visa for entry and stay in the Czech Republic. The WO and the HR department will help you complete all of the essential formalities with Scientific permit, Employee Card and Family.
Travel health insurance

Citizens from EU countries do not need additional travel health insurance.

Non-EU member states must present health insurance till the beginning of employment (at least one month of coverage is recommended). The travel insurance can be purchased online after the visa application has been approved. 

Recommended insurance provider: PVZP

NB: It is advised that you do not purchase health insurance until you know that your application has been approved.

How to get to Brno

When travelling to Brno by air, flights to Prague (Praha) or Vienna (Wien) airports are equally good options, as the travel time from these airports to Brno is roughly the same (two and a half to three hours).

From Vienna:
  1. REGIOJET’s comfortable coaches provide a direct connection from the terminal to Brno city centre. This is a very convenient connection and can also be the fastest, but coaches run on a rather infrequent schedule.
  2. FLIXBUS´s coaches are another option to get you directly from the terminal to Brno city centre. The departure timetable varies by day, so you should check the timetable for your particular travel dates.

To get to Brno, you need to take a city train (S-Bahn) from the airport and change trains at the Vienna central train station (Wien Hauptbahnhof or Hbf). You can find timetables and tickets here.

From Prague:
    While journeys by coach from the airport to Brno are possible, there is no direct route from Vaclav Havel Airport to Brno, so you will have to change buses at Florenc Bus Station in Prague.
    This coach company departs from various bus stops in Prague. You will find more information on their website.

To get to the main railway station (Praha hlavní nádraží or hl. n.) you can take public transport or an Airport Express (AE) bus (jízdenka dopředu + cena).

There are frequent train connections between Prague and Brno which are operated by two Czech companies (ČD and RegioJet). Seat reservation ticket recommended. To find out more:

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.


Looking for accommodation is a complicated and time-consuming process. That is why we always recommend finding a short-term rental first (for example a hotel room or a university dormitory if available, or check Airbnb offers) and then hunting for suitable long-term accommodation, according to your needs and desires.

Where to look for accommodation
  • through Masaryk University‘s housing facilities (limited capacity only):
  • by contacting friends and/or co-workers: these people may advise you best, drawing on their own experience and personal contacts.

  • through real estate agencies: it is recommended that you always use a well established real estate agency to avoid running into problems later on, for example unclear proof of real estate ownership, which is needed for official purposes such as residence and visa applications. Realtors will make sure that the person leasing an apartment is legally entitled to do so and that the lease contract contains all the necessary provisions.

    The agency should be able to provide you with a lease contract in both English and Czech.

    The standard realtor‘s commission is usually equivalent to one month‘s rental fee.

    An apartment/room owner may also ask for a refundable security deposit that can vary in value from one to three months‘ rent.

    Rental fees vary between roughly 5 000 and 7 000 CZK per month for a room with a shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, and between 11 000 and 15 000 CZK per month for a 1+1 apartment, i.e. 1 room + kitchen + bathroom facilities, depending on the location and the furnishings included.
Property ownership

Proof of ownership in the form of an extract from the property register confirms that the room/apartment for rent is legal. Only the owner (or an individual with the power of attorney to represent the owner) can lease a flat or house. However, many flats in the Czech Republic are owned by local authorities, and subletting them is thus prohibited.

To register for a long-term stay with the Immigration Office, you need to present the lease contract (in Czech), an extract from the property register indicating the ownership, and the owner´s affirmation - “čestné prohlášení” (signed in person before a notary) - confirming that he or she agrees to provide you with accommodation.

Rental fee and security deposit

Rents may be specified as:

  • complex rent, i.e. rent + utilities included (less common)
  • basic rent + utilities, i.e. a flat rate + the cost of the utilities (electricity, water, gas, maintenance fee for common spaces)

If calculated separately (i.e. basic rent + utilities), an approximate cost of utilities per month is added to the basic rental fee. Once a year, the landlord adds up the actual consumption of electricity, water and gas and, depending on that calculation, you will either receive a refund or you will be asked to pay an additional sum to make up for the difference.

Usually, the lease agreement includes a security deposit which is returned upon termination of the rental unless damage has been caused to the property. In that case, the landlord can retain a part or the whole of the security deposit to cover damages.

The lease contract may contain a description of the actual state of the flat, the furnishings, and the initial utility meter data. The latter is particularly important. You should check that the recorded figures are accurate. Also, check the furnishings to avoid being blamed for damages caused prior to your moving in.

Most leases are signed for one year but can be terminated earlier if proper notice is given (usually one to three months).

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.

Living in Brno

Brno is the second city of the Czech Republic and the capital of the region of Moravia. With a population of just under 400,000, it is much smaller than Prague and is a friendlier, less crowded, and more relaxed city.

The many thousands of university students here have always ensured a lively night club and entertainment scene. A new wave of cafes, restaurants and cocktail bars have sprung up in recent years which has put the city on the map and even invited positive comparisons with Prague. The churches and museums are great too. If you add in some daring modern architecture from the early 20th century, such as the Unesco protected Vila Tugendhat, there's plenty to reward those who are willing to investigate and uncover the many hidden charms and attractions in and around the city!

Video: Best things to do in Brno (Honest Guide)

Cost of living

The Czech currency is called „koruna“, and the average salary in the Czech Republic is about 34 000 Kč. To get an idea about the prices in Brno, click here.

Prices for housing in Brno are quite high and an average furnished 1-bedroom apartment is about 14 000 Kč. Given the number of students and foreigners in the city, it is not always easy to find a perfect place to rent. If you plan to arrive with your family, finding an apartment might be especially difficult so you should make sure to explore the possibilities as soon as possible. An average price for a 3-bedroom apartment outside the city center is about 23 000 Kč.


Brno offers plenty of cultural and leisure activities so we can assure you that you will not get bored. You can relax in one of the parks, go to a theatre, visit a couple of museums and art galleries, take your children to the zoo or explore the treasure of South Moravian region just beyond the corner of the city.

List of leisure activities in Brno

Czech Culture

The Czech Republic is a landlocked country in Central Europe. The country is bordered by Poland to the north, Germany to the west, Austria to the south and Slovakia to the east. Its capital and largest city, with 1.3 million inhabitants, is Prague. The Czech Republic includes the historical territories of Bohemia and Moravia and a small part of Silesia.

The official language of the Czech Republic is Czech. Czech falls within the West Slavic language group and therefore is similar to Polish as well as Russian and Croatian. An interesting phenomenon is its great similarity to Slovak. And did you know that the famous writer Franz Kafka spoke Czech? Or that Czech ranks as one of the most complicated languages in the world?

Although the vast majority of the population of the Czech Republic (96%) speak Czech, you can also hear Slovak, Russian, Polish, Ukrainian or Vietnamese as these are languages of the largest national minorities in the Czech Republic.

Tourists will usually make themselves understood in English and quite often also in German or Russian.

First days

Visit your new workplace

- Sign the contract of employment (HR Department)
- You will also be granted access to university information systems and provided with an employee card.
- Find out where you will be working, what the working hours are, get your keys and any essential equipment, meet your new colleagues, etc.
- You may be eligible for bonuses including meal allowances and pension insurance contributions.

Welcome meeting

Attend a meeting for incoming international employees to find out more about life in the Czech Republic – public transportation, banking services, mobile operators, social insurance registration, initial medical examination, health care in the Czech Republic, etc. This is a great time to ask about anything you need to know.



You must register for residence in the Czech Republic within 30 days after arrival at the Foreign Police. Registration with the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy is also recommended for nationals of EU/EEA/CH countries with stay exceeding 12 months.


You must register for residence in the Czech Republic within 3 days after arrival at the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy.

The Welcome Office will help prepare your documents and arrange a chaperone to assist you at the meeting.

Travel in Brno

Travel in Brno is organized by DPMB company. Using public transport is the easiest and cheapest way (and sometimes even faster).

There are several ways how to pay for your travels:

  • Beep and go – if you have contactless credit/debit card, you can use machines in buses/trams and trolleybuses and simply tap on upon boarding the vehicle
  • Paper tickets – you can buy those at the main train stations, tobbacco shops „trafika“ or in yellow ticket machines which are situated at some stops and stations, you validate the paper ticket in the vehicle
  • Public Travel Ticket - in case of regular commuting, we advise to get a season ticket (called "šalinkarta" in Brno) - for 1 month/3 months/1 year

Brno is part of South Moravian Integrated Transport System (IDS JMK), see the lines and zones. If you have a Public Travel Ticket with zones 100 +101, travelling outside of Brno will be cheaper (you will pay additional zones only).

At night there are special night buses. Night buses leave every 30–60 minutes depending on the line. The main train station stop (“Hlavní nádraží”) is the central interchange point of all night trams and buses.

For times, schedules and routes, see the search engine: or get a mobile application Czech Public Transport IDOS with an English version.

Bank account

There is a number of large banks offering wide scale of products (ČSOB, ČS, KB, Raiffeisen Bank).
If you are looking for low or zero fees and you do not look for specific services you can consider one of the low cost banks (Fio Bank, mBank, Air Bank).

To open an account you will need:

  • identity document (passport, driving license etc.) 1 (EU citizens), 2 (non-EU citizens)
  • residence permit (non-EU citizens) 
  • contract of employment / certificate of study
  • tax identification number (TIN)
  • Czech mobile operator to send the authorization code to for internet banking

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.

Health Insurance and Medical Treatment

Health insurance for MU employees is provided from the start of the employment contract. Employees get standard coverage of medical treatment including surgeries and hospital visits. Medication can be fully, partly or not covered by insurance depending on the prescription.


You are free to choose a doctor or general practitioner but you should check if he or she has signed a contract with your insurance company. If this is not the case, your insurance provider may reimburse your doctor however only in the a case of "essential" or "urgent" treatment.


Your GP can advise you with regards to specialist treatment. You can also ask friends/colleagues to recommend someone they may know about. Not all specialists accept new patients and some may not speak a foreign language so be prepared to spend some time finding the right person.

Important phone numbers

  • 155
    The medical rescue service including the air rescue service may be called using this number 24/7;
  • 112
    In case of serious emergencies 24/7.


The medical emergency service operates outside doctor´s office hours.

  • Medical first aid service for adults
    Úrazová nemocnice (Accident Hospital), Brno, Ponávka
    • Phone: 545 538 538
    • Opening hours: Workdays: 5 p.m. – 7 a.m.
      Weekends and holidays: 7/24
    • Ambulance – groundfloor and 1st floor, Ponávka 10
    • To get to the ambulance, enter the gateway between the Ponávka 6 and Ponávka 10 buildings and continue across the yard to Koliště 41 (1st floor) back entrance.
  • Medical first aid service for children
    Dětská nemocnice Brno (Brno Children's Hospital), Brno, Černopolní 9
    • Phone: 545 210 658, 532 234 935
    • Opening hours: Workdays: 3.30 p.m. – 7.00 a.m.
      Weekends/holidays: 7/24
  • Dental emergency service
    Úrazová nemocnice (Accident Hospital), Brno Ponávka 6
    • Phone: 545 538 421
    • Opening hours: Workdays 6 p.m. – 0 a.m.
      Weekends/holidays: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Last treatment is 30 minutes before the closing time.

Emergency Treatment

All EU citizens are entitled to free or reduced cost emergency treatment if they hold a valid european health insurance card (EHIC) which can be obtained from their home countries or online in some cases. Please note that some private agencies charge a fee for helping you obtain one of these but they should be free of charge. More information can be found here

Pharmaceutical emergency service
  • K.E.I. pharma, s.r.o., Brno, Koliště 47
    Phone: 545 424 811
    Opening hours: 24/7
  • Dětská nemocnice - Lékárna (Children's Hospital Apothecary), Brno, Černopolní 9
    Phone: 532 234 646
    Opening hours: Workdays: 7.30 a.m. - 10.00 p.m.
    Weekends/holidays: 8.00 a.m. - 10.00 p.m.
  • Dr. Max, Padowetz lékárna, Brno, Bašty 2
    Phone 542 213 531, 542 213 532
    Opening hours: 7/24


Non-emergency admission to hospital will require a referal from your GP or a specialist related to your specific needs. Treatment in public hospitals is covered by your health insurance.

Dental care

Dental services coverage is rather basic and there often is a surplus fee for the treatment. Adults are entitled to have one preventive examination a year free of charge. It may not be easy to find a dentist as there is a general lack of them.

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.

Czech phone number
  • there are three major providers in the Czech Republic – O2, T-Mobile, Vodafone
  • we advise to get a Czech SIM card for your phone after arrival (necessary for opening a bank account)
  • prepaid card with credit– is a quick and cheap solution, if you just want to browse the internet using wi-fi mainly and be able to call
  • Masaryk University cooperates with Vodafone and can offer an employee package for postpaid deals
  • after signing the contract of employment at MU, you can simply switch to an employee programme (no need of business phone, see Business Mobile Plans for Family)

During your time at MU

Making changes

Making changes? You may need to report changes to the appropriate authority. Reporting changes is described in more detail on MOI website (EU, non-EU). However, let us help you with the documents which need to be in Czech and write us at Welcome Office is ready to help.

You are obliged to report these changes e.g.:

  • extension of your agreement
  • change of travel document/identity card
  • change of your residence
  • get married/divorced
  • giving a birth
Czech for Foreigners

Whilst English is widely spoken as a second language in the Czech Republic, not everyone will be able to converse with you if you do not speak at least some basic Czech, especially outside of the main cities. Once you begin to participate in everyday life in the streets, shops and offices, you will most probably hit the language barrier at some point. In order to make your life a little easier and more enjoyable, a basic knowledge of Czech is highly recommended.

Czech is not an easy language to learn but be confident and try not to get discouraged too easily and you will soon make progress. Try to set yourself realistic targets and do not worry if you sometimes make mistakes which everyone does. Even some native speakers mispronounce the notorious letter “Ř” which is pronounced 'rg' as in bourgois if it has an accent above it. If you did not know that then you have just learnt something new about the Czech Language! If you have got the taste for more there are a number of courses you can take in Brno as listed below.

MU Language Centre offers free Czech courses for MU foreign staff and PhD students. Click here for more information.

You can begin with free introductory courses organised occasionally:

…and continue with commercial courses:

GOOD LUCK or as the Czechs say HODNĚ ŠTĚSTÍ!

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.

Registering a car

If you have a car you must have insurance, regular technical inspections and emission tests and also mandatory equipment on board, which you are required to have in your vehicle at all times.

The law says that anyone operating a vehicle for a period of more than 185 days in the Czech Republic must have the vehicle registered here. If you do not register your car, you will have problems in the event of a car accident or when dealing with your insurance company to cover damage or repairs.

  • Registering a car from a non-EU country:

If you bring your own car from your home country you must be registered here. To do that you need to have a long-term residence or a temporary residence permit (EU citizens) with an assigned birth date number. The registration can be processed at the nearest municipal office to your current address. The office in Brno is Department of Motor Vehicles, Kounicova 67.

  • Registering a car from a EU country:

If you have a car registered in another EU country and you transported it to the Czech Republic:

  1. You need to take your car to the technical inspection department (State Technical Control – STK) to get a written report. You will be given a certificate of roadworthiness ie. a red sticker for the technical inspection and a green sticker for the emissions.
  2. You have to purchase liability insurance.
  3. COC list – get a certificate of conformity or original registration document.
  4. You will also need an invoice or proof of purchase.
  5. You have to fill out a car registration form “Zadost o prihlaseni vozidla” (which can be downloaded here.

If you have a car registered outside the EU and you brought it to the Czech Republic, you will need the same documents as for the cars registered in the EU plus an additional customs declaration.

When you have all the documents ready you can go to the municipal office and you will be given the Czech technical certificate. Once you have it, your car can be officially registered.

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.

Waste Collection Fee

All foreign citizens who intend to stay in Brno for longer than 3 months have the responsibility to pay the “waste tax” in the same amount as Czech citizens.

The responsibility to pay the fee is placed on individual residents, not landlords or property owners. If utilities are included in your rent, ask your landlord if he or she has also paid the waste tax (it is not usual, though). If not, please follow the easy instructions below.

See instructions on how to pay the fee here.

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.

Education for children

With the exception of preschool facilities, education is free of charge in the Czech Republic.


Preschool educational facilities look after children from the age of three to six. It is not easy to find a kindergarten which will accept your child unless you live in the area of that kindergarten or your child is in his or her last year before compulsory school attendance. It is highly recommended that you contact the facility in advance to inquire about vacancies. If your child cannot speak Czech or you would prefer a facility located in a different part of the city from where you live, you will have to search for a private preschool. There are various options for private kindergartens in Brno. For instance:

Elementary schools

They are attended by children aged 6 to 15 and are compulsory in the Czech Republic.

There is just one school in Brno offering education with English as the language of instruction – the International School of Brno. It offers preschool, elementary and secondary education, and it charges tuition fees.

Other schools focusing on teaching children from foreign countries (websites only in Czech, contact the school directly):

There are also two schools in Brno with several subjects (industrial arts, informatics and biology) taught in English:

Secondary schools

They are for teenagers aged 16 to 19. They offer education in numerous specialised fields. There are three types of secondary education to choose from:

  1. Secondary education programme for one to two years, culminating in a final examination (Závěrečná zkouška in Czech);
  2. Secondary education with a vocational focus for two to three years, culminating in a final examination and a vocational certificate (Závěrečná zkouška s výučním listem in Czech);
  3. Secondary education with an exit examination after four years (Závěrečná maturitní zkouška in Czech).

Anyone who completes his or her studies at a secondary school with an exit examination (type 3 above) may apply to a university.

While the only secondary school at which all subjects are taught in English is the International School of Brno, there are some other secondary schools offering education partly in Czech and partly in other languages:

Contact information

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welcome Office.

Having a child

If a child is born to a foreigner in the Czech Republic, the child is subject to the applicable Czech citizenship laws (ie. a birth from a mixed marriage with a Czech citizen).If a child is born to a foreigner in the Czech Republic who is not subject to Czech citizenship, further progress will depend on whether the child will continue to reside in the territory or not. A foreigner born in the Czech Republic is entitled to reside temporarily in the territory with his or her legal representative, for a maximum period of 60 days from the day of birth.

The following may occur:

  • citizens of third countries who intend to leave the Czech Republic within 60 days of birth
    If a foreigner born in the Czech Republic during the 60 days of birth leaves the territory of the CR, no official request is submitted even if the legal guardian resides in the country on a visa (short-term) or a residence permit.
  • citizens of third countries who intend to continue to reside in the Czech Republic
    a) If the legal representative of a baby resides in the Czech Republic based on a short-term visa, he/she is required within 60 days of birth to request a short-term visa from the Department of Foreign Police.
    b) If the legal representative of a baby resides in the Czech Republic based on a long-term visa/stay permit, he/she is required within 60 days of birth to submit the request for long-term visa/stay to the Immigration Office (MOI).

Particulars of the application:

  • child's passport - (contact the relative embassy of the country in Prague); can be replaced by submitting a travel document of an alien (legal representative), on which the child is registered.
  • birth certificate - (in about 7-10 days)


  • citizens of third countries who have obtained a permanent residence permit in the Czech Republic are required within 60 days of birth to submit a request for a permanent residence permit (for the purpose of cohabitation) in the case of joint coexistence with the legal representative. It means that the child from the moment of birth until the decision comes into force (and, in the case of a positive decision to continue) will fall within the public health insurance system.

A period of 60 days to submit the aforementioned applications is deemed extended if the request was prevented for reasons which were beyond the control of the foreigner, until such time as these reasons cease to exist. Legaly represented born foreigners with a long-term visa or long-term or permanent residence, must immediately notify and update the Ministry of Interior.Legaly represented born foreigners with a short-term visa must immediately inform the department of the Foreign Police in the vicinity where it is reported they reside.If the conditions for extending the deadline are not met, the ministry may consider the application as a late submission which could lead to the termination of an application for a permit for long-term or permanent residence or as a reason for the denial of a visa and the subsequent departure from the country. Another consequence of late submission could be the invalidation of a long-term visa, long-term or permanent residence of the legal representative.

Stay extension

If you decided to prolong your stay at Masaryk University it is important to extend your residence permit indeed. See detailed instructions what to do.

TOP 10 places in Brno
  1. Spilberk Castle
    The former royal castle, fortress and prison. Take a walk through Brno history and enjoy beautiful views of the city.
  2. Petrov Cathedral
    The main cathedral church in Brno with neo gothic facade and Baroque interior. The cathedral is depicted on the 10 CZK coin.
  3. Labyrinth under the Vegetable market
    Take a journey back in time and explore the medieval cellars and corridors under the historical city center.
  4. Shopping at the Vegetable market
    Get to know Brno like a local, go shopping at the Vegetable market, where the regional farmers have been selling their local products for centuries. And in winter enjoy the charming Christmas market.
  5. Capuchin Crypt
    Unique place where you will learn about the history of Capuchin Friars Order and see the naturally mummified bodies of the monks.
  6. Veveri Castle and Brno Lake
    Ideal place for a weekend trip. Take a boat across the lake, visit the medieval castle Veveri, hike along the bank of the dam. In summer ideal for swimming, in winter for skating.
  7. Brno Observatory and Planetarium
    Here you can not only learn more about the stars, planets and universe in a fun way, but also enjoy a picnic in the nearby park or go swimming at a local pool.
  8. Brno ZOO
    Where to spend a nice spring or summer day in nature? Try the local ZOO, 400 species of animals, modern pavilions, fun educational programs are waiting for you.
  9. Technical museum
    Are you interested in the history of science, transport and engineering? Then this museum is just the thing for you. And children will love it too.
  10. Mendel Museum
    Learn more about the life of the founder of modern genetics, Johann Gregor Mendel is located in the historical building of the augustinian monastery.
TOP 6 places outside Brno
  1. Mikulov and Palava
    South of Moravia offers beautiful countryside, vineyards and hiking paths through them and a charming Baroque town with a castle.
  2. Moravian Karst
    Unique area with more than 1100 caverns and gorges. Four of them are open to the public. You can enjoy a boat cruise on an underground river with crystal clear and deep water. You will see caves with limestone columns and the bottom of the famous Macocha abyss.
  3. Lednice–Valtice Cultural Landscape
    Visit two of the most beautiful castles situated in the beautiful countryside of southern Moravia, in the middle of a historical park with lakes and boats. The whole area is a part of UNESCO.
  4. Pernstejn Castle
    Fairytale medieval castle in the middle of the hills and woods of the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands.
  5. Slavkov Castle
    Baroque castle built by the famous noble family of Kaunitz. In 1805 the battle of Austerlitz, took place nearby and Napoleon Bonaparte spent a night in the castle itself.
  6. Bucovice Castle
    Architectural gem, uniquely pure renaissance castle to the north of the Alps. Visit the representative rooms with beautifully painted ceilings and an exposition about the life of a Moravian nobleman.

Before departure

Contact HR Department

Once you decide to terminate your job at MU, you need to take care of a few matters:

  • Inform the HR department – the HR department will take care of all MU-related matters, cancel your health and social insurance and collect your employee card. They will also provide you with health, social and pension insurance and tax payment certificates.
  • Return any entrusted equipment – keys, borrowed books, assigned items (laptop, mobile phone).
Practical issues before departure
  • Return the residency card - there are two possibilities:
    • Return it at MOI in person before your departure (recommended)
    • Send it by mail after your departure to:

Ministerstvo vnitra
Oddělení pobytu cizinců Jihomoravský kraj
Tuřanka 1554/115b
627 00 Brno

  • Return the medical insurance card and employee card to the HR department of your faculty/institute
  • Keep your birth number for the possible return to the country in future.
  • Cancel your Czech bank account – close your account in the Czech Republic, transfer your money to your usual account – and remember to notify your HR department where to deposit the final paycheck.
  • Terminate your lease – and settle any commitments. Remember to collect all deposits.
  • Cancel medical insurance for all members of your family
  • De-register waste collection tax - within 15 days of your departure online in BrnoID or personally at Municipality at Šumavská street
  • Cancel any other services you have arranged – mobile phone tariffs, car registration, etc.
  • De-register your children from school or kindergarten


Make sure you haven't forgotten anything:

Contact us:


MU Centre for International Cooperation
Welcome Office
Komenského náměstí 2

Loading map…

You are running an old browser version. We recommend updating your browser to its latest version.

More info