Long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research

If you are coming to the Czech Republic to carry out scientific or academic research for a period exceeding 3 months you can apply for the Long-term residence permit for the purpose of employment commonly referred to as a Scientific Permit. The standard time for processing is up to 60 days from the submission date.

How to apply

The application must be presented in person at the nearest diplomatic mission of the Czech Republic abroad. If there is no Czech Embassy, the application can be submitted in another country with the Czech Embassy/ consular section (see here).

All documents which accompany the application (see list below) must be in Czech or be officially translated if the original versions are not written in Czech.

  • Hosting Agreement (contact the HR dept.)
  • Written confirmation from your host organisation (contact the HR dept)
  • Criminal history from your country of origin and from other states where you have been resident for over 6 months during the last 3 years (translated into Czech by a certified translator and provided with the apostilla if needed).
    • The obligation does not apply to minors under 15 years.
    • The criminal history may be replaced by an affidavit if a given state does not issue such a document.
  • Travel document (passport)
  • 2 photographs
  • Travel health insurance to cover the period between arrival and the date of the beginning of employment (after the application has been approved)
    • Travel health insurance up to the date of employment start; the regime of an employee applies afterwards. Travel insurance can be arranged through a commercial insurance company (travel health insurance valid in all Schengen countries). It can be also arranged through an insurance company abroad however in that case it has to be officially translated into Czech.
  • Application form – must be filled out in Czech

Once your application is approved you can collect the entry visa ("D/VR") from the embassy and depart for the Czech Republic. If you are a citizen of the country that has a visa-free agreement with the CR you are free to travel to the CR after your application has been accepted by the embassy and collect the residency card in the CR after notice from the Ministry of Interior. This must be done within 3 months after arrival and careful timing is imperative.

You are running an old browser version. We recommend updating your browser to its latest version.

More info