International employee guide
Before you arrive
The International Support Office (ISO) and the HR department of your faculty or institute will help you complete entry formalities and sort practical issues associated with your stay.
Choose a job
- In case you have already received a specific job offer, please skip this step.
- Browse the current offer and choose a job which suits you best. Information on the course of the selection procedure is attached to each job posting.
Negotiate the terms of your agreement
- An agreement specifying the terms of your work arrangements at MU is part of the selection procedure. You need to set a start date for the agreement and negotiate its duration and salary terms.
Do you need a visa?
- If you and your family members are EU/EEA/CH citizens, none of you needs a visa.
- If you or a family member are citizens of another country, you must have a valid visa for entry and stay in the Czech Republic. The ISO and the HR department will help you complete all of the essential formalities with Scientific permit and Employee Card.
A practical checklist will ensure that nothing slips your mind or gets left behind.
On arrival in the Czech Republic
- Arrange all employment formalities – visit the HR department of your faculty or institute, they are here to help you. You will also be granted access to university information systems and provided with an employee card.
- Register with local authority – you must register for residence in the Czech Republic within 3 days (non-EU) and 30 days (EU/EEA/CH) of your arrival. EU/EEA/CH citizens must report to the Foreign Police, citizens of other countries must report to the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy. The International Support Office will help prepare your documents and arrange a chaperone to assist you at the meeting.
- Attend a welcome meeting – join a meeting for incoming international employees to find out more about life in the Czech Republic – public transportation, banking services, mobile operators, social insurance registration, initial medical examination, health care in the Czech Republic, etc. This is a great time to ask about anything you need to know.
- Visit your new workplace – find out where you will be working, what the working hours are, get your keys and any essential equipment, meet you new colleagues, etc.
- Practical issues:
- Download checklist
During your time at MU
- The ISO will regularly send you important information – information on changes and amendments to laws relevant to the stay of foreigners, language courses, key deadlines (waste collection fee payment, dog fee payment), bonuses (cultural events), etc.
- Making changes? Let us know! – should you make any significant changes, e.g. extend your agreement, change your residence, get married, have a baby, you may need to report such matters to the appropriate authority. The ISO will be happy to help.
- You may be eligible for bonuses including meal allowances and pension insurance contributions.
- We are looking forward to any comments and critique in order to further improve the services offered by the International Support Office.
Once you decide to terminate your job at MU, you need to take care of a few matters:
- Inform the HR department – the HR department will take care of all MU-related matters, cancel you health and social insurance and collect your employee card. They will also provide you with health, social and pension insurance and tax payment certificates.
- Cancel your Czech bank account – close your account in the Czech Republic, transfer your money to your usual account – and remember to notify your HR department where to deposit the final paycheck.
- Return any entrusted equipment – keys, borrowed books, assigned items (laptop, mobile phone).
- Terminate your lease – and settle any commitments. Remember to collect all deposits.
- Deregister your children from school or kindergarten
- Cancel medical insurance for all members of your family
- Cancel any other services you have arranged – mobile phone tarifs, car registration, etc.
You may use our checklist for a final review.
We wish you a great stay in Brno!