Scholarships and bursaries
Masaryk University awards the following types of scholarships and bursaries:
- accomodation grant,
- Scholarship Programme in Support of Humanitarian Activities,
- Rector’s Scholarship Programme,
- scholarship for outstanding study results,
- scholarship for international students,
- scholarship in support of creative activities,
- scholarship in support of mobility,
- scholarship in exceptional cases,
- scholarship in support of studies in a doctoral degree programme.
Students of Masaryk University may apply for scholarships and bursaries, generally within the framework of scholarship and bursary programmes organized by individual faculties. The MU Scholarship and Bursary Regulations grant individual faculties (and other units at MU) the power to organize scholarship and bursary programmes in order to support students’ study-related activities; such activities must be in agreement with the general objectives of the faculty as well as of Masaryk University as a whole. Faculties and other units specify the criteria for awarding individual scholarships.
For an overview of scholarship and bursary programmes announced by individual faculties, see
Faculty scholarship programmes
- Faculty of Law (Czech only)
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education (Czech only)
- Faculty of Economics and Administration (Czech only)
- Faculty of Informatics
- Faculty of Social Studies (Czech only)
- Faculty of Sports Studies – bachelor and follow-up master programmes and doctoral programmes (Czech only)
In case a student is interested in applying for a scholarship anywhere at MU, it is essential that he/she provide a functional bank account number so that scholarship payments may be made to that account. The bank account must be kept with banks in the Czech Republic and in the Czech currency. The account number must be entered in the Personal Administration section of the Information System.
Masaryk University students who meet conditions set out in section 8 of the MU Scholarship and Bursary Regulations may be awarded an accommodation grant. The accommodation grant is paid out by MU in two scholarship periods: 1 January to 30 June and 1 July to 31 December.
In order to be eligible for the grant, each student must confirm that he/she meets the required conditions for receiving the accommodation grant (previously conducted in the form of an application submission). Conditions are verified on the basis of national student records; the format and content of required information as well as deadlines for confirming the fulfilment of accommodation grant conditions are stipulated by MU provision No. 5/2017.
Students must confirm the fulfilment of these conditions electronically via the MU Information System from 1 to 30 November (autumn semester) and from 15 March to 15 April (spring semester). In case the last day of these periods falls on a Saturday, a Sunday or a holiday, the period in question is extended to the first subsequent workday. Prior to confirming eligibility for the accommodation grant, each student is responsible for checking or updating their permanent residence address in the IS MU.
The decision to award/deny the accommodation grant is delivered to each student via the IS MU following the end of the period for condition fulfilment confirmation; payments are made within the deadline set by the MU provision issued for each scholarship period. All scholarship payments are made to accounts listed in the IS MU (see above).
The deadline for confirming accommodation grant eligibility cannot be extended and accommodation grant payments cannot be claimed retroactively. The grant also cannot be awarded in part, e.g. in case a student terminates his/her studies during the course of a semester prior to the issuance of a decision awarding the accommodation grant.
In case a student deems that the IS MU has wrongly assessed his/her accommodation grant eligibility, he/she may contact the Office for Studies of the Rector’s Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to the relevant deadline.
Masaryk University students who meet conditions set out in section 91, subsection 3 of Act No. 111/1998 Coll., on Higher Education Institutions and MU provision 6/2017 (Czech only) are eligible for a bursary. The bursary is awarded for ten months of the academic year; the monthly bursary amount corresponds to one quarter of the monthly minimum wage rate rounded up to the next ten CZK.
Students must confirm the fulfilment of bursary eligibility conditions electronically via the MU Information System once per academic year: from 1 November to 20 November. The bursary is awarded only once the fulfilment of eligibility conditions has been confirmed by the Office for Studies of the Rector’s Office following the delivery of a Bursary Eligibility Notice by the student in which a designated state social support authority confirms that the student is eligible for the bursary for the duration of the bursary period or its part and that income for the third calendar quarter of the year, decisive for the awarding of the bursary, did not exceed 1.5 times the family subsistence minimum amount. In order to be eligible for a bursary, a student must likewise not exceed the standard duration of studies.
The decision on the awarding of a bursary is delivered to students electronically via the IS MU at the beginning of December. The first bursary instalment for October to December will be paid out once the awarding decision becomes final, i.e. 30 days after the delivery of the decision or once the student renounces his/her right to appeal the decision. Subsequent instalments are paid at the end of each month.
A bursary may be granted retroactively, but only for the duration of the validity of the Bursary Eligibility Notice; in such cases, the fulfilment of eligibility conditions is verified by the Office for Studies of the Rector’s Office at the request of the student. The Bursary Eligibility Notice remains valid for 21 months following the end of the quarter for which the family income was established.
- The bursary may only be awarded to students who receive state-issued child allowances in the Czech Republic.
- The standard duration of studies is 3 years for Bachelor's, 5 years for long-cycle Master's, 2 years for Master's and 4 years for doctoral degree programmes.
- The standard duration of studies also includes periods of studies concluded in an irregular manner (e.g. in case a student completed 7 months of his/her first Bachelor's degree, subsequently terminated his/her studies and has now spent a further 2 years and 6 months in a second Bachelor's degree programme, he/she has exceeded the standard duration of studies by one month).
- In case the IS MU indicates that eligibility conditions cannot be met due to the standard duration of studies being exceeded on a certain date, the fulfilment of eligibility conditions may be confirmed up to the day prior to such a date. For example: in case the IS MU indicates that eligibility conditions cannot be met due to the student exceeding the standard duration of studies on 15 July, the fulfilment of eligibility conditions may be confirmed up to 14 July.
Confirmation of bursary eligibility conditions fulfilment for the 1 to 20 November period.
- An original or notarized copy of the Bursary Eligibility Notice must be submitted to the following address: Žerotínovo nám. 9, 601 77 Brno. The envelope must bear the title of "Bursary" as well as the students’s university ID number and telephone number.
- At the same time, the fulfilment of bursary eligibility conditions must be confirmed electronically in the IS MU at: https://is.muni.cz/auth/stipendia/soc_stip_zadosti.pl. Application status may also be monitored here.
Matters associated with accommodation grants and bursaries are administered by the Office for Studies of the Rector’s Office.
The Rector's Scholarship Programme in Support of Humanitarian Activities Implemented by MU Students is established as per Rector's Provision No. 8/2015. The purpose of this scholarship programme is the granting of special-purpose scholarships in accordance with section 91, subsection 2, letter e) of the Higher Education Act by Masaryk University (hereinafter referred to as “MU”). The scholarship programme is designed to support MU students who have chosen to engage in voluntary humanitarian activities of society-wide significance, thus demonstrating their affiliation with values espoused by MU.
Supported activities include especially such activities which are performed in cooperation with MU partners or through reputable humanitarian organizations (e.g. the Red Cross, People in Need, etc.) or charities dedicated to providing aid, legal and social services, counselling or other useful activities designed to help persons in difficult circumstances, carried out by the student voluntarily, with no claim to payment of any kind and on their own responsibility. Supported activities may also include activities carried out within the framework of degree programmes, including e.g. internships or placements in the above mentioned organizations.
A scholarship application form for the MU Rector's Scholarship Programme is available for download on the Document Server.
Applications including a substantiated claim and records documenting expenses must be submitted through the MU Information System, namely using the appropriate section of the Documents application. The applicant is simultaneously required to send their application to the vice-rector for student welfare (email@example.com).
The Rector's Scholarship Programme is stipulated by the Rector's Provision 8/2012 (Czech only). The purpose of the scholarship programme is for Masaryk University (hereafter "MU") to award scholarships in cases deserving special consideration in accordance with section 91, subsection 2, letter e) of the Higher Education Act pursuant to section 91 subsection 5 of the Higher Education Act. The purpose of the scholarship programme is to support inter-faculty or inter-university student activities. These activities are linked in particular to the development of formal and informal education, supporting the development of strategic objectives and the development of the values of MU and the representation of the university (socially, culturally, and in the areas of sport and scientific research).
The application form for the MU Rector’s scholarship is available in Document Server. (Czech only)
Applications are submitted through the Information System by uploading the documents into the appropriate section for applications (the folder named „Žádosti o přiznání stipendia do [date of collection]“). (Czech only)
The applications are processed 4 times a year, and students are informed about the start of the process on the MU notice board in IS.
Applications will be collected in 2021 on March 1, May 14 and October 15.